Just one hour from London by train, Suffolk is brimming with exciting towns, attractive villages, beautiful beaches and stunning country side. The Suffolk Heritage Coast offers some of the finest landscape in the United Kingdom. With 40 miles of coastline, most of which is designated 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty', you will find super sandy beaches, stunning pebble beaches and miles of natural rugged coast. Our properties are situated in the ever popular towns of Aldeburgh, Southwold, Woodbridge and Claydon which is a small village on the outskirts of Ipswich. Surrounding these excellent locations are a host of interesting, historic and beautiful towns and villages.More information
The Kingdom of Essex was traditionally founded by Aescwine in 527 AD, occupying territory to the north of the River Thames, incorporating much of what would later become Middlesex and Hertfordshire, though its territory was later restricted to lands east of the River Lee.Colchester in the north east of the county is Britain\'s oldest recorded town, dating back to before the Roman conquest, when it was known as Camulodunum, and was sufficiently well-developed to have its own mint. Subsequently the Kingdom of Essex was subsumed into the Kingdom of England and Essex eventually became the historic county. More information
Southwold is a delightful town and a great place to visit at any time of year, whether just for a day, a weekend, for a week, or longer. More information
Aldeburgh is a coastal town in Suffolk, the town is notable for its Blue Flag shingle beach and fisherman huts (freshly caught fish sold daily), More information
Melton is a village in Suffolk, England, located approximately one mile north east of Woodbridge. More information
Claydon is a small village just north of Ipswich in Suffolk, England. The meaning of the name is 'clay-on-the-hill', though it is not much of a hill. More information
View map of Melton, Woodbridge, Suffolk, England, IP12 1 on Multimap.com
Get directions to or from Melton, Woodbridge, Suffolk, England, IP12 1
Melton is a small village just out side of the historic market town of Woodbridge. The village has a local store and newsagents in the High Street, a fish and chip shop and two public houses, one of which has a good, family friendly restaurant offering traditional English fare. There are two golf courses, the privately owned St Audrys, and a pay and play course at The Ufford Park Hotel and Spa where you will also find a fitness suite and day spa.
Just two miles away is Woodbridge, a delightful and very popular market town which is home to many historical buildings and places of interest to visit. There is a good collection of independent shops, boutiques, restaurants and bistros as well as a public swimminmg pool with gym, tennis courts, cinema and golf courses. Situated on the River Deben, Woodbridge is ideal for sailing and has some of the most exceptional river walks in Suffolk. Look out for The Tide Mill, a fully restored water mill on the banks of the river, The Shire Hall on the Market Hill, now a museum dedicated to The Suffolk Punch and Butrums Mill, a restored and working windmill.
PLACES OF INTEREST
WOODBRIDGE & THE RIVER DEBEN – distance from Melton approx. 2 miles
This cosmopolitan market town is just a short drive from Melton. The town offers many individual boutiques, restaurants and shops. Being situated on the River Deben you will find an interesting marina and boatyard alongside the famous Tide Mill. There are many historic buildings in the town, all centrally located.
SNAPE MALTINGS – TEL: 01728 688303 – distance from Melton approx. 10 miles
A unique collection of C19th former barley Maltings, set on the banks of the River Alde. Here you will find the world famous concert hall which is home to the Snape Festival as well as an interesting collection of shops and galleries. There is a tea room, restaurant and a traditional Suffolk public house which serves excellent food both lunch time and evening.
SUTTON HOO, Tel: 01394 389700 – distance from Melton approx. 3 miles
Looking across the river from Woodbridge one can see the lower slopes of Sutton Hoo, one of Britain's most important archaeological sites. It is the burial ground of the Anglo-Saxon pagan kings of East Anglia. The 250 acre site of unspoilt heath lands, you can view the burial mounds and visit the exhibition centre.
ALDEBURGH – distance from Melton approximately 16 miles
For a wonderful day out you cannot beat the coastal town of Aldeburgh, situated on Suffolk’s Heritage Coast. This town is still full of old world charm with historic architecture and miles of super shingle beach. Home to the Aldeburgh Festival and with attractions such as the Moot Hall Museum, the RNLI centre and the Scallop sculpture by artist Maggie Hambling. Enjoy the freshest fish and chips or take home the local catch which is still sold from huts on the beach.
- THE NEW WOLSEY THEATRE, Civic Drive, Ipswich – Tel: 01473 xxxxxx
- THE RIVERSIDE THEATRE & CINEMA, Quayside, Woodbridge – Tel: 01394 382174
- UFFORD PARK HOTEL, GOLF & SPA. Yarmouth Road, Melton (over road from accommodation) – Tel: 0844 4773737 0844 4773737
- DEBEN SWIMMING POOL. Station Road, Woodbridge
HAIR & BEAUTY:
- AVALON, Melton Park, Melton (500m from accommodation) – Tel: 01394 384888 01394 384888
- THE LOUNGE HAIR SALON. 12 New Street, Woodbridge – Tel: 01394 382173 01394 382173
- THE ROBERT DOUGLAS HAIR WORKSHOP, 86 The Thoroughfare, Woodbridge – Tel: 01394 387436 01394 387436
- BELLISIMA BEAUTY, High Street, Wickham Market – Tel: 01728 746981 01728 746981
- DEBEN YACHT CLUB, River Wall, Woodbridge – Tel: 01394 385400 01394 385400
- WOODBRIDGE CRUISING CLUB, River Wall, Woodbridge – Tel: 01394 386737 01394 386737
- LADY FLORENCE (River Cruise Restaurant) Orford Quay – Tel: 07831 698298 07831 698298
- VALLEY FARM CHILDRENS ACTIVITY CENTRE, Wickham Market – Tel: 01728 746916 01728 746916
- POPLAR PARK, Hollesley, Nr Woodbridge – Tel: 01394 411023 01394 411023
- SHRUBBERY FARM STABLES, Shrubbery Farm, Charsfield – Tel: 01473 277193 01473 277193
- There are tennis courts on both Melton Playing Field and Kingston Playing Field (Woodbridge).
- LOWER ARMORETUM TENNIS COURTS. Christchurch Park, Ipswich – Tel: 01473 433500 01473 433500
- RENDLESHAM SPORTS CENTRE. Sycamore Drive, Rendlesham – Tel: 01394 460876 01394 460876
CHILDRENS INDOOR ACTIVITY/PLAY AREAS:
- KIDZ KINGDOM, Martlesham Heath – Tel: 01473 611333 01473 611333
- SNAKES & LADDERS, Cavendish Street, Ipswich – Tel: 01473 255000 01473 255000